Recovery Sandwich: Fried Egg “BLT”
I sometimes think that desperate hunger after a long and hard bike ride is the key to coming up with the best recovery meals – not to mention a properly stocked pantry.
The leucine in an egg is like throwing gasoline on your muscle building fire. This is one of the reasons I immediately start thinking “what can I do with an egg?” on my way home after a century. In the southern states of the U.S., we are always making a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich during the summer.
So, I decided to do a twist on this classic and add 2 fried eggs while substituting arugula for the lettuce.
- 2 pieces of whole grain bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice of manchego cheese – you can use swiss cheese
- half a tomato, sliced
- 1 piece of bacon
- 1/2 cup of arugula
- chopped basil, optional
- Cut the piece of bacon in half and fry in a small, non-stick saute pan. It should take a solid 8 minutes if cooking it over “almost”medium” heat.
- Start toasting the bread.
- At this point, the bread should be toasted and the bacon cooked. This means you start to assemble the sandwich.
- After the sandwich is almost assembled, fry the eggs in the sauté pan until it’s cooked to your liking.
- Finish assembling the sandwich and enjoy!!!
Leave a comment. Ask us a question...